Sunday, April 5, 2009

Music - Here's what I think.........

I  love it when people ask me what kind of music I like. You see....there isn't really a genre of music that I don't like. I'm not one of those people that says I love rap and r&b but I can't stand country. I'm open to all types of music in all genres. There are so many flavors of music that I want to try them all. I believe that I can learn something from anything I'm exposed to no matter how new or old. I hate it when people say that they don't like a certain type of music because it's too old or it's not the newest thing.


I cringe when I hear people say - "This new music don't make no damn sense to me. It's all noise. The singer don't make no sense. And what the hell is up with them rappers. They ain't even singing....they just saying the words. Hell, that ain't no music at all." I can't tell you how much this kind of statement makes my brain hurt. Why must people be so damn closed minded? I hate to be the one to break this to you but the music of your generation was not the best music ever made!!!!

Then there are the people that live under the ridiculous notion that listening to certain types of music can influence you to do all sorts of terrible things (kill other humans, do drugs, commit suicide, have unprotected sex with your sister, etc). If you do this sort of thing after listening to a particular album then you have serious self esteem issues. Don't blame the musician for your lack of frickin' judgement. Musicians can create works of fiction in the same way an author creates a book of fiction. If you choose to take it to heart and kill yourself over it that's your problem.

The human race is so narrow minded. We don't see much further back than the past decade. We consider music from the 80's as old or classic. This sort of focus makes me sad. Let's try to broaden our musical horizon. Look outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment